VMS 8.4 Alpha Hobbyist disk images

Adrian Graham binarydinosaurs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 18:55:35 CST 2018

> An update to this.
>
> I picked up the Alphaserver today, powered up fine.  I reset the system password so I could log in.
>
> It is running OpenVMS 7.1 and has 7 disks in the Storageworks box.
>
> When I log in only the boot disk shows up from the $ show dev command.  Nothing else, no CD, no tape which are all there.
>
> On powerup it shows:
>
> bus 2 slot 0 pka Qlogic ISP10x0
> bus 2 slot 1 ewa DecChip 21040-AA
> bus 2 slot 2 pua DEC KFPSA
> bus 0 slot 11 dra Mylex DAC960
> bus 0 slot 12 drb Mylex DAC960
> bus 3 slot 0 pkb Qlogic ISP10x0

You’ve got a KZP*A, DE500, DSSI, pair of KZPAC (probably) and another KZP*A

> I think 4 of the storageworks disks are in a Raid in the storageworks (DRB).  The DRA raid must have been external since on startup it spends time waiting for it and finally gives up.

I’d pull whichever KZPAC isn’t connected to anything any more along with the KFPSA which will speed up INIT if nothing else.

> In console mode:

> DKA400 RRD45
> DKB400 RZ28
> DKB500 RZ29
> DKB600 RZ29
> DRA0 4 member RAID 5
> DRA1 1 member JBOD
> DRB0 4 member RAID 5
> DVA0
> MKA500 TLZ07
> EWA0    mac address
> PKA0 SCSI bus
> PKB0 SCSI bus
> PIA0 DSSI Bus ID 3

The first KZP*A has the CDROM and tape drive so that’s probably a KZPAA (Qlogic QLA1040), the internal disk shelf must be split bus if you’ve got 7 drives in there, 3 on the 2nd KZPAA (or BA) and 4 on the KZPAC.

> My desire is to setup this machine and use it, however, I don't want to undo things I can't put back together again.  Any thoughts or advice?

See above :) Take out boards that aren’t connected to anything. I assume you’re doing a MINIMUM boot which would explain the lack of devices when you log in?

Pictures may help too.

Cheers,

—
Adrian/Witchy
Binary Dinosaurs - Celebrating Computing History from 1972 onwards
w: binarydinosaurs.co.uk t: @binarydinosaurs
f: facebook.com/binarydinosaurs