What's the rarest or most unusual computer-related item do you own?

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Mon Jan 16 18:58:09 CST 2017

> >> What happened to the MacIvory II and microExplorer?
> >
> > If we're considering MacIvories in this category, there's one sitting
> > next to me (MacIvory III in a IIci host, 8MW RAM, Genera 8.3).
>
> Why wouldn't we? They're actually really rare, and quite nice.
> Some of us have been looking for a MacIvory or a microExplorer for a very
> long time. It requires quite a bit of luck to acquire one.

And a lot of money. Mine was a cool $4kmumble from DKS directly, but when it
arrived the board wasn't recapped, the case was cracked, the machine was
troublesome and the hard disk was flaky. I ended up recapping it, replacing
the hard disk and case and a few other parts, and rebuilding Genera. Total
cost, not counting the time I sunk into the damn thing, was around $6000.

I guess it's fun, but the 164LX under the bench running OpenGenera on Tru64
is leagues faster.

-- Computer geeks don't byte; we just nybble. ---------------------------------