Cray J932SE (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now)

Chuck Guzis cclist at
Tue Jul 19 11:27:18 CDT 2016

On 07/19/2016 08:29 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

> Or hobbyist.  It's pretty trivial, after all.  If you live in a state
> where that's not allowed, that would be an issue.  But in NH, for
> example, homeowners can do their own electrical work.  I wouldn't do
> work on the meter box or other always-live parts, but anything that
> can be powered down isn't an issue.  For one thing, I know from
> experience that the fact someone has a license doesn't necessarily
> make him qualified to do electrical work.

A big concern would be getting basic service.     I'd probably want a
secondary 200A panel for this, so the local utility would probably drop
a second transformer in my front yard (there's buried 12KV service
running up my driveway).   At least getting the extra panel would
involve a licensed electrician and inspections.

What would be a bigger concern is any HVAC needs.  The EPA has been
getting very predatory in their regulation of refrigerants and who is
qualified to handle them.  New proposed regulations are even more
stringent.  Life is very good if you're a licensed HVAC tech today.


More information about the cctalk mailing list