Cray J932SE (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now)

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Tue Jul 19 11:18:47 CDT 2016

> The other thing that's not trivial is that if you make a mistake, you will
> likely either: 1. Die.  2. Burn down your house. 3. Ruin some expensive
> and rare gear.
> To me, that all sounds like a helluva pain and != trivial. Then again, I'm
> a software guy. What do I know? :-P

Some fun pics:
https://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/office/IMG_0208.JPG
https://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/office/IMG_0209.JPG
30A 208 pulled from panel temporary to run argon laser. That was before I
installed the 36KvA UPS. The little power supply in the back takes in 3
phase 208A @ 30A and uses 2 gallons a minute of water, then drops like 70
amps of DC at 60V or something to the laser. Something really nasty and
lethal.

There might be other pics on my flickr of the Cray through the years at
www.flickr.com/photos/ethanotoole

Had 4, sold 3, kept one for years... but it's up for sale cause
hobbies/interests have changed a bit and storage space/power (still have
more than my fair share of older computers.) I work near all the
datacenters in Ashburn Virginia and I've been tempted to see about finding
some space for it. The buildings often have a ton of unused space.

--
Ethan O'Toole