word processor history -- interesting article (Evan Koblentz)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jul 7 13:57:43 CDT 2016

On 07/07/2016 11:31 AM, Rod Smallwood wrote:

> ADM3A as a terminal and Diabolo Daisy as a printer.  Forms on screen
> application and letter quality printing. Not to mention letter
> quality word processing single sheet feed etc.

The point is that word processing predates wide use of microprocessors.

For a time, I ran a  Diablo Hitype I OEM model connected to a 3-parallel
port S100 card under WS  The OEM models are essentially dumb units with
spacing, carriage motion, etc. controlled by the host.

Even then, word processors were old.

To this day, I still use "joe" as my all-around text editor under Linux
and BSD.  It uses mostly WS key conventions.

--Chuck