word processor history -- interesting article (Evan Koblentz)

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 7 13:31:30 CDT 2016

On 07/07/2016 18:57, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 07/06/2016 07:15 PM, Murray McCullough wrote:
>> My first word processor was from Wang called “Word Processor” and
>> then IBM’s “Displaywriter”. I tried “Wordstar” originally called
>> “Wordmaster” but way too complicated.
> The big oversight here is that nobody seems to collect old wapro stuff;
> Harris, Lanier, AES, Artec, Qyx, etc.
>
> Soon, this will be a big hole in history, I suspect.
>
> --Chuck
Wordstar of fond memory.

Try highlighting a word with shift and right arrow, then ctrlC.
Now move in your email  and type crtlV.

Yes Wordstar keyboard commands are alive and well.

Mozzila Thunderbird - Yup
MS Mail  - Yup
Notepad - Yup
Libre Office Writer - Yup

... and so on.

I used Wordstar as a programmers editor on a Northstar Horizon running
CPM  and writing commercial code in CBASIC.
You could drop out of Wordstar compile or run and then go back with a
couple of key strokes.

ADM3A as a terminal and Diabolo Daisy as a printer.  Forms on screen
application and letter quality printing.
Not to mention letter quality word processing single sheet feed etc.

Those where the days!!

Rod Smallwood