StorageTek 2920 9-track manual or instructions wanted (And a bit about rescuing a Nord-1)

Göran Axelsson axelsson at acc.umu.se
Sun Jul 3 08:56:38 CDT 2016

Hi and thanks for all the help I got! Both on the list and via email
directly.

A couple of days ago I did a quick test of the drive and I was able to
load tapes, both manually and with automatic tape loading. It's a really
nice drive. BPI were detected automatically so the drive seems to be i
good condition.

I haven't been to my storage yet since I saw the new documents scanned
by Al, but from the pictures I have taken it looks like it is a
SCSI-drive, the other interfaces uses two cables instead of one.
Whenever I get some time to spare I will try to get the drive connected
to a linux computer. It is possible to run the 2920 both as singel ended
and differential so I should have a lot of different interface cards to
choose from for the PC end. It looks bright right now. :-)

The reason I haven't responded before is that I got busy with a rescue
of a NORD-1 computer in southern Norway. It took 28 hours to fly down to
Göteborg to meet up with a friend already in the south, drive to Norway,
load the computer in my friends van and drive it back to Umeå. I hope my
reason for the lack of interest in this thread is excusable. :-)
The computer is the first model made by Norsk Data AS, it has serial
number 47 and was built in the summer of 1972, equipped with 32 kword of
core memory. It's one of my dream machines and it is almost complete. :-D
http://www.ndwiki.org/wiki/NORD-1_Serial_47

Göran