Sugru (moldable rubber) for ???

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Jan 26 16:42:33 CST 2015

On 01/26/2015 12:00 PM, geneb wrote:

> Chuck, you might want to find someone that's got a 3D printer near you
> and has experience with a flexible filament called NinjaFlex.  If you
> can't find anyone, let me know and I'll pick up a spool and give it a shot.

Maybe, but here's the thing:  "flexible" doesn't mean that material is
suitable.  If you take my example of a capstan, one property that's
required is a sufficient amount of "grippiness" (there's probably an
engineering term for it).

So, for example, polyethylene is quite soft in some forms, but is
totally "un-grippy".   Some stuff that's grippy isn't hard enough (I
think that's the durometer rating), e.g. most silicone elastomers.

Neoprene is obviously the ideal stuff for this; I'm wondering if this
Sugru material has the desired characteristics.   As far as I know, one
can't 3D print neoprene.

--Chuck