10 forgotten wonders of 1980s homes

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Dec 30 20:52:34 CST 2015

On 12/30/2015 12:39 PM, Guy Sotomayor wrote:
> We just dropped our POTS service last month.  Our phone
> now is an OOMA VoIP Office system to get the features we
> wanted/needed.  I haven't tried any rotary dial phones on
> it since I don't have any.

We need the landline phone to call when the cable is out.
We need the VOIP phone to call when the copper line is out
(which is more often).
> Where I'm at, I can't get DSL.  Right now I'm dependent
> upon a dedicated microwave link to my iSP.  I'm getting
> between 20-35Mb/s symmetric (used to be 10Mb/s but it
> looks like they upgraded the link recently).  I'm paying
> $$$'s but since I work from home I need the bandwidth (I'm
> currently using about 800GB/mo).  I had to put in a
> point-to-point WiFi link to get internet to the house from
> my shop (where the microwave dish is).
I can't get DSL here anymore, the lines are WAY too bad for
that.  I used to have DSL way back when.  I wish I could get
symmetric cable speeds here, 30/30 would be FANTASTIC, as I
run a web server here. I live with 60/5, but rumors are that
we will get upgraded to 100/10 sometime fairly soon.

Jon