10 forgotten wonders of 1980s homes

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Wed Dec 30 12:39:46 CST 2015

On 12/30/15 10:12 AM, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> I read an article recently that in the US, only 8 percent of the
> population relies on POTS exclusively.  Currently, I'm waiting for
> more upstream capacity before I can get 20Mbps  DSL--right now, I'm
> existing on 1.5Mbps, but the local telco did send me a VDSL2 modem
> free of charge.   When that happens, I'm dropping POTS service as it's
> just not worth the monthly fees and taxes.  Dry loop after that.
>
> All of this has me wondering how long it's going to be before POTS
> completely disappears from the infrastructure.  I've been
> experimenting with one of the Obihai VoIP boxes and have been
> pleasantly surprised at the quality.  I haven't tried yet to see if
> the 554 rotary dial wall phones in my garage and shop will still
> work.  They were installed in 1980--so that ties this in with the
> subject material.

We just dropped our POTS service last month.  Our phone now is an OOMA
VoIP Office system to get the features we wanted/needed.  I haven't
tried any rotary dial phones on it since I don't have any.

Where I'm at, I can't get DSL.  Right now I'm dependent upon a dedicated
microwave link to my iSP.  I'm getting between 20-35Mb/s symmetric (used
to be 10Mb/s but it looks like they upgraded the link recently).  I'm
paying $$$'s but since I work from home I need the bandwidth (I'm
currently using about 800GB/mo).  I had to put in a point-to-point WiFi
link to get internet to the house from my shop (where the microwave dish
is).

TTFN - Guy