2.9.1 BSD on 11/34 + sc21-bm + fujitsu m2333k

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 21:28:17 CST 2015

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Jacob Ritorto <jacob.ritorto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Exciting stuff for a Friday night, right?

It is!

> https://www.instagram.com/p/_K-zHhHvLn78Qu5ijWqMf-HBem1LKMLaEdI1c0/

Nice!

> xp0a: hard error bn xxxx cs2=1100 <MXF, IR> er1=0
>
> on every single block when I try to mkfs /dev/xp0a 4800

I can't help you with M2333K specifics, but do you get anything
meaningful if you use 'dd' on the raw disk, first to read, then to
write?

ISTR /dev/xp0c or /dev/xp0g might be the "all the disk" partition.  It
doesn't really matter _which_ partition you are trying to read from,
but might as well start at the beginning and allow it to go to the
end.

If you can't read a block at the OS level, you probably won't be able
to write it to drop a filesystem on it (I'm sure there are imaginable
scenarios where that's possible, but for a simple smoke test, just try
to read one block with dd and pipe it to 'od'.  I can't remember if od
is available on 2BSD, but dd is most likely there since I think I
remember using it to stuff bootblocks at the fronts of disks).  Of
course there are several imaginable scenarios where you could read but
not write.  Write but not read is far, far less conceivable.

-ethan