OT: Slow booting, was re: Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Aug 6 20:21:16 CDT 2015

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> The problem is, that even with the "Fast boot" BIOS setting, it takes well
> over a minute to get to the point where it tries to boot.
> Does anyone have a clue on why it's so slow?  Even getting the POST down to
> 15-20 seconds would be wonderful.

Slow boot can be really annoying.  Especially when there aren't adequate
indications that it IS making progress towards it.  I was very pleased in
booting MS-DOS when BIOS's starting counting off the memory being tested.
(Remember when that change was?)

It's usually JUST an annoyance.  But what about the cumulative totals?
If you were to take the boot time, of all the copies, and all the users,
and add it up, then divide by median lifetime, . . .  How many LIVES have
been wasted by it?  That doesn't make it a mass-murderer, does it?