OT: Slow booting, was re: Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Aug 6 19:35:26 CDT 2015

On the subject of slow booting, perhaps someone can help me with a very
annoying case of the slowboots.

I've got a dual slot-1 P3 system here--a Supermicro P6DGE, which uses a
440GX chipset and 2GB of registered SDRAM with two 900MHz CPUs.  When it
finally get around to s booting, it's a great workhorse, with 2,
count'em 2 well-behaved ISA slots.  It's frisky enough to run Windows 7
and proudly proclaims that it was made in the USA.

The problem is, that even with the "Fast boot" BIOS setting, it takes
well over a minute to get to the point where it tries to boot.

Does anyone have a clue on why it's so slow?  Even getting the POST down
to 15-20 seconds would be wonderful.

--Chuck