CompuServe Drives: Custom firmware?

Rich Alderson RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Mon Apr 20 18:35:49 CDT 2015

From: Cory Smelosky
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 12:13 PM

> On Mon, 20 Apr 2015, Rich Alderson wrote:

We'd have to look at the BOOT source (BOOT.MAC) for that.

> (Also, do you have any install tapes/monitor sources/bootstrap sources
> from the TOAD-1? I doubt the FDDI is simulated to stock DEC monitors as an
> NIA20 and some references regarding SCSI/Networking there would be
> helpful))

FDDI?  Not on the Toad-1, certainly.  Toad-1 systems comprise 4 board types:
XKL-1 CPU, XNI-1 10baseT Ethernet, XRH-1 "FASTWIDE" differential SCSI-2, and
XMG-1 32MW memory.  The XNI-1 looks to the monitor like 4x Cisco MEIS cards
(derived from the Stanford interface of the same name), not a DEC NIA-20.

There are PDFs of the Toad-1 System Installation manual and the Toad-1
Architecture Reference available via anonymous FTP from
toad2a.livingcomputermuseum.org (change directory to PS:<DOCUMENTATION.TOAD>,
ignore the warning about sending a password).  XKL did not ship monitor source
with the system, nor was it available for purchase separately.

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Systems Engineer
Living Computer Museum
2245 1st Avenue S
Seattle, WA 98134

mailto:RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org

http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/