Residental electrical load [was Re: Who's rewired their house for this hobby?]

Chuck Guzis cclist at
Thu Nov 27 14:11:14 CST 2014

On 11/27/2014 11:39 AM, drlegendre . wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
> The lack of heating in your antimagnetic stainless or copper cookware isn't
> due to a lack of ferromagnetic content - it's a different situation
> entirely. The issue stems from the electrical properties of the bulk
> material - in essence, those pots are +too good+ of a conductor at the
> frequencies in use. The currents flow in a deep, thick layer and encounter
> trivial resistance. It's this lack of resistance that's responsible for the
> lack of heat production .
> I'm sure you've seen the well-known 'magnet down the copper pipe'
> demonstration, which shows clearly that eddy currents develop just fine in
> copper - which certainly isn't in the ferromagnetic series. As for glass or
> ceramic, they're electrical insulators, so there's little to zero current
> flow at all, and again, no heat production.

This goes counter to my experience.  Any utensil that passes the "magnet 
test" will work; any that don't, don't.

I've never found an exception to this.


More information about the cctalk mailing list