Residental electrical load [was Re: Who's rewired their house for this hobby?]

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 13:39:23 CST 2014

Hi Chuck,

The lack of heating in your antimagnetic stainless or copper cookware isn't
due to a lack of ferromagnetic content - it's a different situation
entirely. The issue stems from the electrical properties of the bulk
material - in essence, those pots are +too good+ of a conductor at the
frequencies in use. The currents flow in a deep, thick layer and encounter
trivial resistance. It's this lack of resistance that's responsible for the
lack of heat production .

I'm sure you've seen the well-known 'magnet down the copper pipe'
demonstration, which shows clearly that eddy currents develop just fine in
copper - which certainly isn't in the ferromagnetic series. As for glass or
ceramic, they're electrical insulators, so there's little to zero current
flow at all, and again, no heat production.