The TRS-80 Journey Continues

Martin Bishop mjd.bishop at emeritus-solutions.com
Wed May 25 17:03:53 CDT 2022

I had dysfunctional switches on a heating system timer.  The trade advice since replacements were unobtanium was open them up and clean the contacts with switch cleaner.  The contacts were two "gold" plated pads bridged by pressing down conductive plastic with a textured finish : same design as the keyboards.  The cotton buds lifted a lot of black "tarnish" (probably airborne contaminants) from the contacts.  Went from a few working, a few intermittent and some totally dead, to all 16 working all the time.  Have to see if they last another 12 years before failing.  I infer that cleaning off the contaminants is 95% of the solution.  I doubt the solvent used is especially critical.

Martin