Replacement for a DEC 7474 Chip

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon May 16 16:08:13 CDT 2022

> On May 16, 2022, at 4:59 PM, Rob Jarratt via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> I have several 7474s, including one marked DEC 7474. Sadly, I fear that
>> shipping from the US is likely to be prohibitive.
>
> I have ordered some 7474s. However I am getting a bit lost in the discussion now. From a simple fan out point of view, would an S be sufficient to replace it?

I can think of two ways to answer that: (1) ask and see if you get an answer, hopefullly a correct one, (2) find the data sheet for the 74x74  you're looking at, and the devices it is driving, and do the calculation.  Sum up the max input currents of the driven devices, compare with the min output current of the 74x74.  If the output current is >= the load current, you have the needed fanout.

	paul