DEC H7822 power supply

Wayne S wayne.sudol at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 13:02:03 CDT 2022

> On May 12, 2022, at 09:56, Peter Coghlan via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Toby Thain via cctalk wrote:
>>> On 2022-05-11 7:02 p.m., Peter Coghlan via cctalk wrote:
>>> Given the normal usage that has evolved for the terms DC and AC rather than
>>> their dictionary definitions, I would suggest that the current that gets
>>> passed by a rectifier has both a DC component and an AC component.  When
>>>

>> It does not, due to unidirectionality.
>>

> Consider the current through the rectifier as the sum of a "DC" current plus
> an "AC" current.  The "DC" current has a steady positive value and the "AC"
> current varies above and below zero with a magnitude less than or equal to
> that of the "DC" current.

I’m really trying to understand what you’re getting at here.
In practical terms, The assumption that there is a sum of a DC and AC component is incorrect.
There is no DC component in an AC wave. A wave is either AC meaning reversing polarity or it is DC meaning there is no reversal of polarity.  And a rectifier does not sum anything.
Are you maybe using “Rectifier” as the whole circuit?  A Rectifier can be a single component, like a diode used to pass one half of an alternating current or it can be a few components like 4 diodes connected as a bridge to pass both halfs.

This may help to visualize.
Do an experiment. If you have an Oscope take a small battery maybe 9 volt and wire the negative lead to the neg scope input. Touch the positive lead to the scope positive and watch the deflection. You should see a quick trace  rise and the trace should remain above the zero point.
That is what pure DC looks like. No ripple at all. Power Supplies try to make that from your wall power input.
Next, untouch the positive and watch the trace fall. At no point does it fall below the zero line.
NoW touch and untouch the positive as fast as you can and watch the trace. That is pulsating DC although with irregular frequency. That would be the output from the rectifier component.
Reverse the leads and do it again.
This will show the equivalent of a negative polarity.

If you have a variac, set it to 9 volts or so, plug in a light or something to provide a load and using your oscilloscope probes touch across the light and you should see a sine wave with regular frequency.  Notice the negative going half. That is AC.
It’s important to use a variac for safety ( or an isolation transformer very carefully) as wall voltages can hurt you.

This is a very good way to visually explain AC and DC.