Recent purchase of NIC-80 computer.

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu May 12 12:15:28 CDT 2022

> On May 12, 2022, at 1:03 PM, dwight via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Hi All
> There was a Nicolet computer purchased recently on ebay:
> https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/363826255294?item=363826255294&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565
> Looking at the buyers history, it looks like it was purchased by a collector.
> Bob Rosenbloom and I are wondering if anyone know who might have purchased it and if they are expecting to restore it to operational status?
> These are an interesting computer being that it is a 20 bit word. It was also designed specifically to do FFT's with specialized instructions like bit reversing and hardware multiply and divide.

That may simply be a quite ordinary DSP processor.  Hardware multiply and in particular single cycle mul + add are typical DSP operations because you need them for FIR filters, one of the most common applications of a DSP.  And of course bit reverse for FFT, which has the nice property of being very easy in hardware.

	paul