The TRS-80 Journey Continues

Wayne S wayne.sudol at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 12:40:38 CDT 2022

There’s some utube videos on making bootable floppies. Maybe one of them will give you some ideas.
Here’s one that looks promising.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XoxpnZ__w5Q

Sent from my iPhone

On May 11, 2022, at 07:35, Mike Katz via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

I don't know about TRS-DOS but a lot of early floppy disk format programs had an option to make the formatted disk bootable or not. This would copy the bootloader to the appropriate location on the floppy, copy the OS to the floppy and update any necessary pointers to the OS on the floppy.

Usually a ROM bootloader would load a known sector (usually Track 0, Sector 0) and execute the code from that sector.  That code would then get the address of the Operating System from the disk (either in a fixed location on disk or a fixed location in the directory) and load the OS.