The TRS-80 Journey Continues

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sat May 7 12:57:11 CDT 2022

On 5/7/22 13:48, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> On Sat, 7 May 2022, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>> I had forgotten just how much fun the TRS-80's could be.
>> At least for the moment I am giving up on trying to get
>> a TEAC 55GFR to work and just grabbed a par of disks from
>> one of my COCOs to work with.  I think one of the things
>> I need to do is try to move all of my old 5.25" disks to
>> 3.5" disks as I expect functional 5.25" drives and disks
>> are just going to become rarer.  Maybe I should try the
>> GreaseWeazle on them and see if it can image them.
>
> You can image them with Dave Dunfield's 765 utilities; GreaseWeazel
> hardware isn't necessary.

Image them with what hardware?  A PC or one of my TRS-80's?

> Trakcess, by Roxton Baker, is a BASIC program for TRS80 (including 3/4)
> that provides sector and track viewing and editing.  Trivial mods are
> needed to it for double sided.  Looking at the code of it is an
> extremely easy way to learn how to to controller level actions on the
> 3/4, if you don't already know.

I will look for that.  I used to have some nice DiskZap programs
but have been unable to find any of them.  At least not on a disk
I can still access.  :-(

>> On another note, at one point my 4P failed to read from
>> a floppy.  The "Cass?" prompt showed up followed by the
>> "Memory" prompt.  I'm confused.  I thought the 4P didn't
>> have any ROM in it.  Where could these prompts and an
>> apparently functioning BASIC come from?
>
> If I remember correctly (unrefreshed dynamic wet-ware), IFF you
> responded to those two prompts, THEN you got the BASIC, with the
> [cassette BASIC] version number.  Did you actually GET BASIC after you
> responded to them??

I didn't try typing in a program but I got the "READY" prompt.
I thought you had to have MODELA/III and be able to load it to
get to BASIC on a 4P.  I would be very surprised that while it
could not boot TRSDOS it could somehow load MODELA/III from the
floppy.

bill