Comtec model P135-20/35 Paper Tape Punch

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun May 1 13:41:57 CDT 2022

> On Apr 30, 2022, at 6:35 PM, Will Cooke via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

>> On 04/30/2022 2:09 PM amp1ron at gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> Hi Will,
>>
>> Is the punch you received capable of punching 8-level tape? While the PDF on Surplus Sales of Nebraska's site says the unit can punch 5- to 8-level tape, one of the photos on the site, https://www.surplussales.com/Images/Equipment/Military/eqp-p135-20-35_2_lg.jpg, makes it look like it can only punch up to 6-level tape.
>>
>> -- Ron
>>

> It appears that it can only punch 6 (or 5?) level tape the way it is configured.  The manual isn't very clear on it, specifying repeatedly that it can punch 5 to 8 level tape.  But the one I got only has 6 holes as in the picture.  In the back of the manual the parts list specifies different "guide and die blocks."  I haven't hooked mine up yet -- I need a 5 amp, 27 V supply.  But it appears it has everything except the die block to work with 8 level.  I doubt the local electronic supply house will have that die block, so I might modify that one if possible.

Safest might be to have a local machine shop make a new die block.  The holes have to be bored accurately, and getting new ones to match with the existing ones might be harder than making a new block with the holes positioned properly.  If you know any tool & die makers that would be the best way to get advice; I wish I had that kind of machining skills but I don't...

	paul