ID UV erasable PROMS used on an IBM PC board?

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 22:09:55 CDT 2022

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 12:25 PM Chris Elmquist <chrise at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday (03/22/2022 at 12:20PM -0700), Glen Slick wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:56 AM Chris Elmquist <chrise at pobox.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Trying not to hijack the thread too much but I have an Intel D27C256-200
> > > here in my TL866II+ programmer and it returns ID  89h / 8Dh.
> > >

> > http://www.bitsavers.org/components/intel/_dataBooks/1993_Intel_Memory_Products.pdf
> > Page 5-78 (Page 1201 of the PDF)
> > Table 1. Mode Selection
> > Intelligent Identifier - Manufacturer 89H
> > Intelligent Identifier - Device 8DH
> > That is for the A27C256 "Automotive" rated version.
> >
> > My BP Microsystems BP-1610 device programmer software doesn't have an
> > entry for that one either.
>
> Interesting.  Thanks Glen.  The part is clearly labeled as
> "D27C256-200V10" so they must not have gotten around to changing the D
> to an A :-)

(Flogging a dead horse here slightly)

Just took a look at a previous version of that Intel databook:
http://www.bitsavers.org/components/intel/_dataBooks/1991_Intel_Memory_Products.pdf

Page 5-56 (Page 325 of the PDF) 27C256
Table 1. Mode Selection
Intelligent Identifier - Manufacturer 89H
Intelligent Identifier - Device 8DH
NOTES:
4. Programming equipment may also refer to this device as the 27C256A.
Older devices may have device ID = 8CH

So apparently the Device ID change is not specific to the A27C256
"Automotive" rated version, just that in the 1993 version of the
databook where I first looked the only EPROMs listed are the
"Automotive" ones.