Does anyone/museum test disk packs?

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Thu Mar 17 08:33:08 CDT 2022

Modern disks still have a filtration system and airflow within the disk.
Air usually gets sucked from the edge then through the spindle and out
the center. In this case I think the spinning created a lower pressure
area where the heads were, resulting in the heads flying too low.

I'll re-look at the RL02 but I believe air was not pulled in from
outside but recirculated from behind the heads under the unit to the
center spindle where it came out, into the center of the pack and across
the heads. Closed system when the lid was closed.