Commodore vic 20 poweroff

wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrcooke at wrcooke.net
Wed Mar 16 15:37:04 CDT 2022

> On 03/16/2022 2:58 PM Fred Cisin via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 16 Mar 2022, Diedrich, Bryce via cctech wrote:
> > > Just got a Commodore Vic-20. What is the safest way to power it off when I
> > > am done using it?
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2022, geneb via cctech wrote:
> > Turn it off.
> Then disconnect the power cord from the wall.
> Clean the machine
> Place it in a sealed container with vaccum or inert gas
>
> Optional: (if you are "done using it")
> Post it on eBay as "R at RE"
> or
> place in a vault
> or
> drop it off at the recycling center

But if you aren't completely done using it, you will likely turn it on again which is a more dangerous activity.  VIC power supplies have a reputation of dying and taking the computer out with them.  Many people have replaced the power supply on their VIC.  The Denial wiki and forum:
http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki/index.php/VIC-20
is a good source of power supply options.

You can also see what I did:
http://wrcooke.net/classiccomputer/vicpower/vicpower.html

If you really ARE done using it, you can mail it to me :-)

Will