Looking for computer and individual to read old floppy disks

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Mar 11 21:57:47 CST 2022

On Fri, 11 Mar 2022, Warner Losh wrote:
> It ought to... but that's not defined in the standard...
> But, if 1.2M USB drives exist, or ever existed, they're R at RE
>> I HOPE that the USB 1.4M drives handle 720K, . . .
> That's what I hoped when I bought it, but no joy. Even trying nonstandard
> format values was no help. It would only read 1.44MB.

Well, it requires two different data transfer rates, two write durrents if
you want to WRITE, enough smarts to recognize what it sees, and software
that supports both sets of format parameters.

Nevertheless, designing a 1.4M without 720K support or a 1.2M without
360K support would seem to be unclear on the concept.
And, a properly designed 1.4M should be even able to handle BOTH PC 1.4M
and Mac 1.4M.

I'll cut them some slack on not supporting 160K, 180K, 320K, or being able
to provide lower level access (INT13H equivalent) for non-PC formats.
(Although that is obviously what I would want)

There was a time about 30 years ago, . . .
a couple different companies took tiny single boards, such as Ampro Little
Board, stuck them in a box with a floppy drive, and custom software that
included communication through serial port, and marketed them as things
such as "MACINTOSH drive for PC, AND OTHER, disks"!

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com