Looking for computer and individual to read old floppy disks

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Mar 11 21:34:03 CST 2022

On Fri, 11 Mar 2022, Warner Losh wrote:
> There are no 5.25" USB floppies. Well, not 100% true (there are values
> in the identifier strings that tell you it's a 1.2MB floppy vs a 1.44MB
> floppy), but as a practical matter, you can't find them. I've looked and
> gave up... That's how I wound up with my kyroflux + TEAC drive (though a
> greaseweasel is a better choice these days)...
>
> If these are the old 360k diskettes, then you'd be out of luck the USB
> route.. But an imager would be on the order of $30 for the greaseweasel,
> or similar, and another $40 for a working 5.25" drive and a few hours of
> your time to set it up and figure it all out... So anybody copying the
> disks for < ~$100 or $150 would be cost effective for this person...

If somebody DID make a 1.2M USB floppy, it would seem likely that they
OUGHT TO include the 360K option within it, . . .
But, if 1.2M USB drives exist, or ever existed, they're R at RE
I HOPE that the USB 1.4M drives handle 720K, . . .

> The harder part is converting XYWRITE files into something more mordern...

In his further detail private message, He seemd to understand that he
might have to get a replacement copy of XYWRITE (he said that he gave his
to Goodwill a few months ago), and do a load and SAVE-AS for each file.

Yes, it was always fun trying to explain to people that COPYing the
Wordstar file was NOT the cause of the "corruption of the last letter of
each word".  Fortunately, THAT one was trivial to deal with.  I don't know
anything about the file structure of XYWRITE.

[This reply was delayed by a power failure]
Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com