Origin of "partition" in storage devices

Tom Gardner tom94022 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 31 16:42:38 CST 2022

A somewhat broader search found the 1984 RT-11 System Release Notes with the following:

1.4.2.4 Logical Disk Subsetting Handler (LD) - The logical disk subsetting handler lets you define logical disks, which are subsets of physical disks. You define logical disks by assigning a logical disk unit number to a file on a physical disk. You can then use the logical disk as though it were a physical disk.

AA-5286F-TC-T1_RT-11_System_Release_Notes_Jul84.pdf (bitsavers.org) <http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/rt11/v5.1_Jul84/AA-5286F-TC-T1_RT-11_System_Release_Notes_Jul84.pdf>  p15/102

Suggests DEC had not yet adopted the term “partition” for a segment of a disk

Tom