AOL diskettes

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Wed Jan 19 09:11:34 CST 2022

On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 at 12:00:33 +0100, Peter Corlett via cctalk wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 04:47:36PM -0700, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
>> On 1/18/22 2:21 PM, Peter Coghlan via cctalk wrote:
>>> https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/floppy-disk-table/
>> I like it!
>
> The ratios are wrong: it's about twice as thick as it ought to be. It's
> apparently been designed by somebody who has seen a picture of a floppy but
> never used one.

Maybe the idea is that when the top gets marked, you can sand it down and
paint it again multiple times so you don't need to use those matching
coasters that are so hard to get nowadays?

>> But I hate the price.
>
> Get a LACK table from IKEA (€6.99) and adorn it with 3D prints, or even old
> floppies? I'd advise against trying to machine patterns into it though as
> that low-end stuff is basically made of laminated cheese.

Peter,

I'm shocked to see you recommend IKEA!

Have you not suffered from (physical) IKEA catalogue spam the same way we have
over here?

(BTW, trying to contact IKEA to get it sorted was very much like trying to
contact Google except that Google doesn't have sacrificial call centre workers
in a different country to intercept the complaints and lose them, Google just
doesn't take calls from anyone.)

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.