WARNING: Clear QIC Tape Bands

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jan 18 12:15:24 CST 2022

On 1/18/22 11:09 AM, Jonathan Chapman via cctalk wrote:
> Not archival storage, just day-to-day operation on old stuff, like
> Sun3/Sun4, AT&T UNIX PC, etc.

Okay.  I can see that.

However, "couple (of) months" seems incongruent with "day-to-day".

I am assuming that the day-to-day operation to mean that the source data
is still accessible on the source system.  As such, it's probably simply
a matter of annoyance when a QIC* fails and you must re-do the process
that was using it.

*Can I use /just/ QIC as a proper name or should I say /QIC/ /cartridge/
analogous to VIN number?

> Works well enough for my needs :) I've got a small stack of QICs I
> use primarily with the Suns, they are reliable enough. Again, we're
> not storing launch codes on these or shooting them to the moon or
> something, I just want tape bands that don't destroy tape.

ACK

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die