11/785 on ebay (2018) - was Re: VAX 780 on eBay

Wayne S wayne.sudol at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 3 12:41:38 CST 2022

We had 780,785 and 8600.
785 was noticeably faster than the 780, but the 8600 didn’t appear that much faster than the 785.
It was probably due to a disk bound workload and having Slower Fujitsu Eagle disks.
I think that a lot of people traded in their 78x for a 8600 so that might have skewed the sales results so the phrase “best selling computer” might have to be taken with a grain of salt.
Dec was starting to have management issues when the 8600 came out and also  spending a lot of resources (and getting into more trouble) trying to poach IBM’s corporate customers by offering their Vax 9000. As a result, the sales of 8600 and other lower vaxen tailed off.

We had @25 programmers doing development on the Vax 750 with Rm05 disks, @35 remote users doing inquiries and data entry on each of the 780 and 785. That was considered a lot of users back then 1981-1987.

Sent from my iPhone