11/785 on ebay (2018) - was Re: VAX 780 on eBay

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Mon Jan 3 11:43:46 CST 2022

On Jan 3, 2022, at 8:39 AM, Chris Zach via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> The thing that always made me wonder is where are all the 8600's. The 8600 was apparently the best selling large Vax, outselling the 780 and 750, so what happened to all of them? They weren't any bigger than a 780...

The only VAX 8xxx I’ve heard of in this area was scrapped.  I managed to rescue the system console and the “digital” badge off of the VAX, but the scrapper had some sort of deal with the Hospital that had it to scrap the VAX itself, IIRC.

Personally, these days, I think the largest I’d seriously consider is a VAX 4000 series, though I’d try to figure out how to handle a VAX 7000 if the chance arose.

One of these days, I want to get SIMH/VAX running on a 12th Gen Core i7 (or better).  With the ancient i7 I have here, I’ve been able to get about 34 VUPS, which is faster than my VAXstation 4000/90.

Zane