DEC RF30 Integrated Storage Element Service Guide

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 3 05:23:58 CST 2022

Yes, other disks work and I don't think it can be a termination problem. However, I did check your points below and everything does seem to be correct, please see responses below. The problem persists though.

> However, you still might want to double check that the DSSI bus is properly
> terminated at both ends. If the M7769 KFQSA is attached to a bulkhead
> connector panel, there are two versions, one with a single DSSI connector,
> and one with two DSSI connectors.

My KFQSA has only one DSSI connector and it is not connected to a bulkhead connector panel.

> If the bulkhead connector panel has a single DSSI connector, there should be
> SIP terminators installed on the M7769 KFQSA next to the DSSI connector on
> the M7769 KFQSA as one end of the DSSI bus.

There are terminators installed behind the DSSI connector. The KFQSA manual says they should be removed if using a bulkhead connector, but I am not. I have the cable coming down from the storage area into the DSSI connector.

> If the bulkhead connector panel has two DSSI connectors, the SIP
> terminators should be removed on the M7769 KFQSA next to the DSSI
> connector on the M7769 KFQSA, and there should be an external terminator
> on one of the two DSSI connectors on the bulkhead connector panel.
>
> If there is no bulkhead connector panel connected directly to the
> M7769 KFQSA, and instead it is connected to an internal DSSI bus cable inside
> the chassis, and the M7769 KFQSA is at the end of the internal DSSI bus cable,
> there should be SIP terminators installed on the M7769 KFQSA next to the
> DSSI connector on the M7769 KFQSA as one end of the DSSI bus. I would
> expect the other end of the internal DSSI bus cable to connect to a bulkhead
> connector panel, which should have an external terminator attached as the
> other end of the DSSI bus.

This is indeed the case.