VAX 780 on eBay

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Jan 1 16:24:45 CST 2022

On 1/1/22 2:35 PM, ben via cctalk wrote:
> On 2022-01-01 12:36 p.m., Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:
>> On 1/1/22 1:11 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>>>

>>> Just out of curiosity, how much current is needed for an
>>> 11/780?
>>
>> Depending on options, the CPU cabinet would draw about
>> 10-12 A per line, 3-Phase 208 V.  And, that is on the
>> upper end of the range.  Starting surge would be a lot
>> more, of course.
>>
>> Jon
>>
> How much power is used for memory
> and hard drives?

memory power was provided by the row of power supplies below
the CPU cards as seen in the pics.

Memory power on the /780 was pretty insignificant, as that
system didn't have large memories.

The original /780 had 256 KB memory cards, I think the one
in the current sale has the newer memory system with 1 MB/card.

Hard drive power was QUITE substantial, the bigger drives
had pretty big 3 phase motors to spin the big disk packs/HDA's.

Jon