VAX 780 on eBay

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sat Jan 1 13:57:58 CST 2022

On 1/1/22 12:43 PM, Dennis Boone via cctalk wrote:
> My Multiprise 2003/205 claims to want a pair of 3-phase inputs.

Is it assumed that those 2 x 3ɸ inputs are feed from different paths,
thus path redundancy?  I'd think that the phases would be the same.

> I've run it on two "phases" on a single side.

I have questions....

Where are you getting two /different/ phases?  --  Remember, the
different legs on residential 120/240 wiring are really the same single
phase.

How do you get *two* /different/ phases without access to a *third*
phase?  There are only a few places in the U.S.A. (and I'm not aware of
anywhere else in the world) that actually have 2ɸ power (where the ɸ are
90° out of phase with each other).

What is a phase vs what is a line comes into context here.

> It bitches, of course,

I could see how wiring two legs of a 120/240 1ɸ as if it were 2 phases
of a 3ɸ supply would make something mad.

> and one loses the intended redundancy, but it runs.

Indeed.

But if one is doing this, chances are fairly good that one is most
interested in the fact that /it/ /runs/ and cares much less about
/redundancy/.  ;-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die