Racking a PDP-11/24

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 26 02:14:50 CST 2022

I am wondering if I have racked my 11/24 correctly.

As you can see here:
https://robs-old-computers.com/2022/02/10/pdp-11-24-progress/ I have put the
CPU at the top and the two RL02 drives underneath.

The problem is that the CPU enclosure catches on the RL02 underneath. There
is a bit of play in the mounting bracket:
https://rjarratt.files.wordpress.com/2022/02/cpu-mounting-bracket.jpg. With
a bit of manipulation I can get the CPU to slide in. However, I am wondering
if I have racked it correctly? I don't think there is room to move the RL02s
down and it would presumably leave a bit of a gap below the CPU. There seems
to be very little clearance between the CPU and the RL02 at the front but
more at the back, but I am sure that the rails are mounted horizontally. Is
it just a matter of tightening the big screws that hold the mounting
brackets to stop the play? If so I am not sure I have a big enough
screwdriver!

Regards

Rob