11/83 operating system load update -2

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Feb 23 17:14:38 CST 2022

To test the false "Write-protect" error, try:

Put a BLANK floppy in the drive, and ask Windoze to FORMAT it.
For simplicity, choose the "360K" or "720K" format.
See what if any errors that generates.
If no errors (or certain specific other ones), then we can assume that the
problem is not with the drive.

If it gives a "write protect" error, even with Windoze FORMAT, then the
hardware seems to be seeing a hardware write protect.

Besides the obvious possibility of a defective write protect switch, or
a cable mismatch, one of the MANY unlikely other possibilities, . . .
I have seen and used floppy drives that were jumpered to reverse the
write-protect sense.  Try it again WITH a write protect tab on the disk.
That would confirm THAT particular issue.

Also, put a disk into the drive, and try a simple READ, such as looking at
DIRectory.  Assume that you will get errors, but WHICH ONES?

I can understand your refusal to use Linux.
But, are you willing to reboot to MS-DOS?
If not, at least try FORMAT in a DOS CMD window.
Disk I/O error messages in DOS are more meaningful than the
over-simplified messages that Windoze gives.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com