Installing an operating system on an 11/83

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 20:52:45 CST 2022

On Feb 21, 2022, at 19:32, Rod Smallwood via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> So how do I install an operating system?

You can install 2.11BSD rather normally using VTserver. It makes your modern computer into a pseudo tape protocol via your serial port to the pdp console. It was written for this purpose and I’ve successfully installed bsd this way without having to contrive install images using simulators (which for me takes the fun out of owning real iron)..

You could also raw-write a bootable rt-11 image onto a floppy using vtserver, boot it and from there install rt to big disk.

Also, someone posted v7m floppy images on here last year. You could get RT-11 + Kermit up , then transfer and write v7m floppies from there.   Beware of the problem of formatting RX-50 floppies if you decide to try this.

 I really hope Someone finds a newer ultrix floppy distro soon!

These options stick a bit closer to the real pdp experience if you’re into that.

Good luck

Jake