Installing an operating system on an 11/83

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Mon Feb 21 20:35:25 CST 2022

>    It has a KDJ-11B, 2mB PMI memory, an RQDX3 with an RX50 attached,
>
> Plus a CMD CQD 220A Disk controller with a digital RH18A 2Gig SCSI drive
> attached.

Hm, that's an interesting setup. If it has two MCSP controllers then one
of them is at an alternate address. I never really worked out how to run
a system with an RQDX3+Second controller to get the floppies working and
the hard disk working so hm.

That said, one option is to find a friendly person, send them an RD54
and have them copy a sysgen onto it. Another option is to get one of
Dave G's MFM emulators, download an RD54 image of the OS in question,
transfer it to the real disk then go. Or just plug Dave's emulator into
the 11/83 and run with it.

Yeah, that's a simple option.

For myself I run a 600mb ESDI drive on an MTI controller that I built
off an RL02 image which I uploaded via serial link to a real RL02. To
keep me from doing this again I backed up my system to a TK70, and have
the BRU boot floppy set up on an RX01. Simple restores are nice.