Is The M9312 Boot Module Essential?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Feb 19 05:22:50 CST 2022

    > From: Rob Jarratt

    > I suspect some of the other cards that were in the machine might do the
    > necessary termination stuff.

Different answers for each part of the functionality.

1A and 1C fundamentally have be at the end of the bus, physically. So,
unlikely; since _other_ cards aren't, generally, designed to go there.

1B could be anywhere, but I've basically never seen anything but a CPU or a
terminator with 1B functionality - probably in part because the same physical
components uually do both 1A and 1B. (Oddball exception: M981 UNIBUS jumper,
in the -11/40 - but that's 'sort of' part of the CPU.)

2, yes. E.g. the KT24 UNIBUS map has sockets to hold bootstrap PROMs.
(Compatible with the M9312's.) Others, too; e.g. the KTJ11-B UNIBUS adapter
(although that is not seen in an -11/24). Maybe others, but I can't recall
off the top of my head.

	Noel