DEC Tape TU56 head pictures

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Feb 9 15:46:53 CST 2022

On 2/9/22 12:44, Gavin Scott via cctalk wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 10:11 AM Mike Katz via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> I'm still not sure how to clean the front of the head where the tape
>> touches the head.  Any ideas?
>
> Back in the day there was "Tape Head Cleaner" Which was a little tin
> of trichlorotrifluoroethane (a.k.a. Freon 113) where you screwed the
> cap off and it had a rod with a fluffy ball on the end inside, and you
> would slather that all over the heads of 9-track tape drives etc. It
> evaporated almost instantly. Of course after evaporating it floated up
> and destroyed the ozone layer, so probably not super obtainable these
> days.
>
> A search for "Tape Head Cleaner" suggests there are similar modern
> formulations used for HiFi equipment etc. that might be applicable.

I find that perchloroethylene works to get stubborn tape-head deposits
cleaned up.  Can be found in some formulations of brake cleaner as well
as the usual dry-cleaning solvent.   Nonflammable, but somewhat toxic,
so use in a well-ventilated area.  Not really plastic-safe, so use
sparingly.   Also makes a great solder flux remover from PCBs.

--Chuck