DEC OSF/1 for i386?

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Fri Apr 29 12:07:05 CDT 2022

I was at IBM when OSF (and subsequently OSF/1) was created and had a lot
of discussions with OSF at that time.  At IBM I was working on the IBM
Microkernel.  OSF/1 also used Mach (but a different source base) as the
kernel.  The big effort was to keep the APIs and documentation
"similar".  We had huge arguments about RPC and I think that's the area
that we didn't converge which I think made the whole thing pointless
since the IPC/RPC was one of the main points of Mach.  :-/

I don't know what DEC did in terms of their OSF/1 product, but I know at
IBM we had 2 principle "ports" that we maintained (PPC & x86) as well as
a few others (MIPS, StrongARM, 68K being the other ones as I recall)
that we "kept alive".

TTFN - Guy

--
TTFN - Guy