BASIC environment ending with "run complete", and slashed 'O' characters?

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 18:55:08 CDT 2022

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that! I'd mentioned this over on Facebook, where I'd also been
able to post a photo of the transcript, and someone there pointed out that
the BASIC listing uses single quotes around strings (what I'd expect to be
ASCII 27h) rather than the double quotes that BASIC typically uses
(expected ASCII 22h).

Is that at all "meaningful" in any way? Did CDC BASIC use (or at least
allow) single quotes instead of double? Or was the teletype maybe
configured to print a single quote when encountering ASCII 22h, normally a
double? Obviously I don't know why anyone would actually want that behavior.

The only other thing I can think of is that the listing I have is a "fake"
- i.e. not a true dump of a program run at all, but something that someone
typed by hand, and they used the wrong quotes. That's a surprising error if
so, but if this was educational material I suppose it's possible that it
was simply a text file containing the listing followed by the supposed
output, subsequently dumped to a teletype.

Jules