Slashed letter O, unslashed letter zero

William Sudbrink wh.sudbrink at verizon.net
Tue Apr 26 15:16:49 CDT 2022

<CARD PUNCH TALK>

At the University Of Maryland, in the Computer Science building (in the
basement) there were
about a dozen punches.  A few (two I think?) were labeled "EXPRESS PUNCH 10
CARDS OR LESS".
One evening, there was a line of 15 people waiting for a regular punch and a
line of about 5 people
waiting for the express punches.  After noting who was at the end of the
regular punch line, I got
in the express line.  I punched ten cards and went to the back of the line
(it stayed between 5
and 10 people long).  I think I punched about eighty cards.  I expected to
get yelled at (or dirty
looks at least) but nobody seemed to notice.  I finished before the guy who
was at the end of the
regular punch line when I entered got to a punch.