PCI floppy controller

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Apr 21 20:36:23 CDT 2022

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022, Charles Dickman via cctalk wrote:
> Were there ever any floppy controllers for the (parallel) PCI bus? I
> Googled a bunch and haven't found any.
> I am trying to outfit a computer for the long haul that can run a bunch of
> older software in virtual machines and do things like duplicate floppies in
> different formats. The motherboard I have supports all the formats I have
> tried, but only supports one drive. It also only has PCI and PCIe slots.

If you have floppy support already, couldn't you intercept the floppy
cable and switch the drive selects?
OK, ideal would be software controlled switching, but even a physical
toggle switch in the cable would let you change to another drive,
including a DC37 connector for externals.

Didn't some of the Giga-Byte Technology GA series (GA-108) of PCI SCSI
controllers have floppy support?
https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/c/E-H/20876.htm

Tyan S1363?
Tyan S1366?

'course FINDING one might not be possible

I've heard of a PCI to ISA bridge, but I've never seen one.  Did any such
thing ever exist?    Wouldn't something like that be necessary to get
adequate compatability?