RX50 checkouts, different firmware?

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Thu Apr 21 19:49:55 CDT 2022

I've been working through my old RX50 drives figuring out what works,
what needs cleaning, and what destroys disks.

Using some scratch floppies I have found a couple of them were dirty,
one had a head with something embedded (that I managed to get out), and
one RX50 drive totally flunks the diagnostics on my Pro/380 (but does
sort of work on the Rainbow).

However I have noticed something: As part of my tests I am creating two
floppies with two 350 block files on them. At first I was testing each
floppy by writing the files, then doing a diff to compare them with the
disk. Then I realized I can just have one floppy read and another write
at the same time with a copy dz1:(file) dz2: and doing a diff both ways.

Two of the RX50's do the Diff silently and quickly. The third however
clicks the head pad load each track, each disk. I was wondering if this
is because of firmware differences. When I do a compare to disk there is
one smooth read from the floppy, but when going from floppy to floppy it
seems to want to do the head pad each time it switches floppy disks.

Thoughts? Good news is after cleaning and testing I have three RX50's
which can read from each other, write the disks, and don't leave any
track marks in the disk oxide. Now I can do a bit of reading of some old
disks and go from there...

Chris