PCI floppy controller

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Thu Apr 21 19:30:47 CDT 2022

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022, Charles Dickman via cctalk wrote:

> Were there ever any floppy controllers for the (parallel) PCI bus? I
> Googled a bunch and haven't found any.
>
> I am trying to outfit a computer for the long haul that can run a bunch of
> older software in virtual machines and do things like duplicate floppies in
> different formats. The motherboard I have supports all the formats I have
> tried, but only supports one drive. It also only has PCI and PCIe slots.

    You might consider going with a different (older) motherboard with a floppy
controller that supports two drives and single-density (FM). I'm using an Abit
KV8PRO with a 1.8GHz Athlon CPU, onboard 10/100/1000 ethernet, 1 AGP 8X/4X
slot, 5 PCI slots, SATA and IDE drive support, and 4 USB ports. The floppy
controller passes all of Dave Dunfield's TESTFDC tests except the
double-density 128-byte sector tests. I haven't yet found a need for that
format. I use this system to image and create 3-1/2", 5-1/4" and 8" diskettes,
single and double-density.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us