idea for a universal disk interface

Tom Gardner tom94022 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 20 13:24:18 CDT 2022

I don't know it for certain, but I am pretty sure that it is true that virtually all controllers issue the commands in this sequence, Set Cylinder, Set Head and then Seek, or words to that effect.
They then wait for Ready which can be 10's of milliseconds later. So there is plenty of time to load the whole track much less just the first few bytes after index sufficient to start a data transfer

Likewise, I don't know it for certain, but I am pretty sure that it is true that virtually all controllers switch heads sequentially when transferring blocks beyond the end of the track, so again, if necessary, those first blocks of the next track could be preloaded, but I am pretty sure that this is unnecessary, since there is more than a sufficient amount of time from the set head command to access the first block of bytes of the next track, sequential or not, after which the sustained data rate from memory far exceeds the clock rate to the controller

BTW, at the end of any real track is always a Gap4 for speed variation and truncation residue so there is a fair bit of time there for housekeeping too.

In other words, IMHO, a buffer on the order of a few memory words is more than enough

Tom