idea for a universal disk interface

shadoooo shadoooo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 12:26:08 CDT 2022

Guy,
I agree on keeping Linux out of the loop, to allow fast access on head location, selection.
However, I'm not convinced on the fact that a whole cylinder must be on blockram to achieve this. Given that ram access is fast (on Zynq with PL working at 200MHz and HP port at 64bits I'm running at around 1200MB/s peak), logic can jump across the whole disk without the software intervention, it's just a matter of being able to calculate conversion from CHS to address and read with sufficient buffer.
Probably using Xilinx IP cores could be a severe limit, as these are really full of bugs and inefficient implementations... but are free, so you can't argue.

On software side, given that you can go also slow, there's no need for very complex driver development, just an user level UIO driver could make do.
About language, I know very well VHDL, and it's a little bit at higher level than Verilog, so development with implementation parameters is maybe a little easier.

About interfaces which doesn't have separated clock recovery: these need a sort of oversampling, but you don't need to store every sample, just the ones with state change. Leveraging on IOSERDES you can work at a multiple of internal clock.

Please keep in consideration that the idea is to develop a single device that can work both as drive and as interface, so implementation should be reversible.
Probably this is not very difficult to obtain, as fast data paths for read and write are already in opposite directions.

Andrea